Exclusive interview with Lauren Stamile
Lauren Stamile is probably best known as nurse Rose on "Grey's Anatomy", who was in a tough spot coming between fan favorites Derek and Meredith. Lauren also had recurring roles in the comedy and action genres and next we will see her in the mystery show "The Secret Circle" as a psychic called Lucy. In this interview Lauren gives us an insight into different aspects of the acting job, about working on the popular shows she was on and she also talks a little about her attractive fellow actors.
1. You just landed the part of Lucy on "The Secret Circle", who has ties to Cassie's parents. Can you tease a little bit about your character, her intentions and her role in the game?
Hmm. All I can say is that Lucy is a very complicated woman who is haunted by her past – a past that is tangled up with Cassie's parents. I wish I could tell you more!!! The story is so good!!
2. What drew you to audition for this part?
I didn't! Not that I wouldn't have been excited to do so – I love the show! This was one of those rare and terrific times when I actually had it offered to me! You can bet I said "YES!" without even taking a breath :-)
3. There was some discussion on how Charles Meade, the villain in the pilot, tolerated being condescended to by Dawn Chamberlain ever since the pilot. Is your character going to shed some light on that and the structure of the parent's circle?
Oh, boy ...many, many interesting things come to light in this episode. There are definitely some "WHAT?!" moments. What they are, however, I cannot say. Ugh. I'm sorry! You gotta watch – it is well worth it!
4. You worked with Gale Harold before on the film "Low Fidelity". He has an intense screen presence. What is he like and what is it like to work with him?
I am a huge Gale Harold fan. I mean, how can you not be! And I am an even bigger fan after having worked with him. He is such a kind and giving actor and person. He is so prepared and so meticulous in his exploraton of character and story. And he makes me laugh! His outlook on things is so, so interesting. I hope I get to work with him many more times in the future!
5. Is it funny to work with the same actor(s) on different projects? Is it new every time because the character is new or is it more comfortable when you know the way your counterpart works?
I really like working with people whom I have worked with previously. While thrilling, it is extremely challenging to create a relationship with someone I don’t know in the very little time I usually get – especially in television. If I already have some sort of relationship with the person, I find it easier and less frightening, frankly, to create an even deeper acting relationship. Whenever I first meet an actor whom I will be working with, there is this, "Oh my, how will I measure up? Can I keep up with them?" moment. And unless that is part of the relationship I am trying to create, that thought needs to go away right away, because it can negatively affect the work. That being said, of course there is always some difference, some fear and (a lot of) doubt no matter how well you know the other actor depending upon the project, the role, the relationship – but that keeps it exciting.
6. What do you remember best from working on "Grey's Anatomy"? Anything you can share with us about life on set of this show?
My experience on "Grey’s Anatomy" was full of so many lessons. I learned a lot from watching really good actors, writers, etc. create a hit show and then navigate that giant ship. I would always imagine how much pressure everyone must have been feeling in that position and was so impressed with their collective ability to just concentrate on the work, on the job that needed to get done and to do so while having a good time. I did a lot of watching and listening during that year.
7. Fans didn't really like your character Rose because she got between Derek and Meredith. What is it like getting into character knowing some of the viewers won't be giving your character a chance?
The fact that many people despised Rose led to probably the biggest lesson of all – NEVER. READ. A. BLOG. Ever, ever, EVER. I made the mistake of doing that one cold (well, cold for Los Angeles), winter afternoon. I was amazed by how strongly people reacted to poor Rose! But then it occurred to me, "Rose is coming between two absolutely beloved characters that I am ALSO rooting for!" The audience has been - and continues to be – very invested in Derek and Meredith’s relationship! Of COURSE, they didn’t want someone else getting in the way... Once I got my perspective straight, it really hit the lesson home that an actor’s job - my job - is to tell the story – it is not a popularity contest. That is not why I do what I do, and if my mind ever starts wandering into the neighborhood of "do they like me?" – I can bet that my work is going to suffer.
8. How do you feel about the way your character evolved? Can you relate to her losing it and then deciding to rather leave the place then to face Derek every day?
Well, I wish Rose wouldn’t have accidentally cut Derek! My Dad is a surgeon, and a surgeon’s hands are his/her primary instrument(s)! Love, however, can make us handle ourselves in ways that, in hindsight, we…(eek!) may not be so proud of. But, yes, I can (unfortunately) relate to her losing it. She wasn’t this unhinged stalker to begin with! She was a low-key, smart woman who was led on and then…dumped! I respect her decision to leave, and it really was a sacrifice on her part. Shame had a little to do with the decision but ultimately, her leaving made it easier on Derek and Meredith as well. So, "Yay, Rose!" She made it through a sticky situation with some dignity leftover.
9. How much McDreamy is in the air working with Patrick Dempsey? Is he anything like his character?
Patrick Dempsey is warm, smart, handsome and has incredible focus when working – so yes, he is a lot like McDreamy. But he is also a lot goofier – which is a great quality to have on a set of so many people, who work so hard, for so many hours – his jokes would often diffuse fatigue and lift spirits.
10. Your character on "Community", Prof. Michelle Slater, often gloated about her doctor's degree. Does it appeal to you, too, to achieve a doctor's degree?
Sure, I’d love to be a doctor! In fact, I have considered many times – and still consider – going back to school, but not for statistics – I’m afraid I would fail! I am interested in holistic medicine.
11. How could Jeff and Michelle have moved forward with their relationship if he hadn't chosen Britta?
In order for Jeff and Professor Slater to have moved forward, Jeff would’ve had a bit of convincing to do. Even if he had chosen Slater, it was pretty clear that his feelings were torn. I think they would have definitely needed to go on a vacation or something, away from Greendale! And Slater and Britta would’ve had to find a way to like each other. A tall order, indeed!
12. You also play Agent Pearce on "Burn Notice" season 5. Is working on an action show different from shooting a drama or comedy show?
Well, in the case of "Burn Notice", it is a heck of a lot hotter and more humid – the show shoots in Miami. In the summer! You know, every project is unique – whether it is comedy, action, drama, etc. The specific genre puts one in a specific "world", but within that world every project has its own world, its own story. Two shows can fall within the same genre and be as different as night and day. Every project is unique.
13. You are a married woman but between us girls, who would win you over: the dreamy surgeon (Derek Shepherd), the mysterious daddy witch (Charles Meade), the snarky ex-lawyer (Jeff Winger) or the protective ex-spy (Michael Weston)?
Oh, I can't choose! Look at that line-up. Could you?? They're amazing! But at the end of the day, my husband beats them all. He is spectacular!
14. Since myFanbase is an online magazine about TV series, do you have a favorite show?
My favorite show is currently "American Horror Story". Absolutely blows my mind! If you haven't seen it, WATCH!
Thank you, Lauren, we wish you all the best for your next projects!
Thank you so much!!!
Nicole Oebel - myFanbase
in Teen Wolf-Episodendiskussion von Celinaaa
in Vampire Diaries von Ally