Exclusive interview with Colin Ford
August 27, 2013 | Colin Ford has been playing the young Sam Winchester in several flashback episodes on "Supernatural". In 2013 he landed the role of Joe McAlister in the TV version of Stephen King's "Under the Dome". In our interview Colin talks about growing up with being an actor from early on, and how he imagines he would deal with being trapped under the dome. He also provides a little insight into his work on "Supernatural".
1. You got into acting at a very young age. What is working in movies and TV as a child like? Did you still have time for things from a "normal childhood"?
Yes, I started acting in film at the age of 5 years old. It has always been fun, exciting, and hasn't really felt like work at all. I had a normal childhood; I attended regular school up until the latter part of my freshman year in high school. In middle school, I decided I wanted to play football one year and I even took a short break. There were times that I may have had to miss out on a few social events, but before doing a project I always had a choice and knew what I might be missing out on.
2. Growing up between people like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie or Reese Witherspoon, is meeting celebrities a completely laid-back thing or do you sometimes get starstruck meeting someone?
It has been a real honor and pleasure to meet all the celebrities that I have had the privilege to work with. When meeting someone you admire and respect there is always a bit of starstruck involved. What is great about all the wonderful people that I have worked with are they have all been very friendly, approachable and really down to earth.
3. Do you still manage to get your schoolwork done now that you've landed a huge part on "Under the Dome"? You're still aspiring to go to college, right?
School always comes first. When I am working on set I am required to do three hours of school each day, however, I am in high school so I tend to do double that amount. I am still aspiring to go to college; I am considering a wide variety of Universities to attend. I do however, hope to be an actor the rest of my life.
4. Did you know Stephen King's "Under the Dome" when you were casted for the part of Joe? Have you read it?
I had not read the book "Under the Dome" before being cast. I have read excerpts from the book but given that the television series is a bit different, I have been concentrating on the scripts and I still have not read the book. However, I have heard from a lot of people that the book is really good.
5. How much do the writers involve you in developing the storyline? Do you know where the dome came from?
Thus far I have not been involved with developing the storyline, in fact, the actors only get the script a few days before we are getting ready to shoot the episode. I do not know "where the dome came from". I am as excited as many of the viewers to find out.
6. The show might not necessarily end like the book did. What is your own theory about the dome?
I know the ending from the book but I don't have a good feel whether the television show will end in the same way or not. Whatever created the dome would be very intelligent, is it of this world or another; I am not completely sure what my feelings are. What if this is all just a bad dream?
7. "The monarch will be crowned" - So far Joe and Norrie carry a huge part of the mystery surrounding the dome. Would you struggle accepting this dome as a character or are you someone who would be open to such possibilities?
As an actor I am lucky that I get to expand to an imaginary world where anything and everything is possible. I think that the dome would be a character; yes I would say I could accept that.
8. Imagine you were trapped under the dome and accepting that it's a sort of permanent thing, what would be the first 3 things you would do and what would you miss most from the outside?
I would stock up on supplies such as food, water and alternative power sources. I would miss my friends and family if they were trapped outside.
9. As the young Sam Winchester you do not really have scenes with Jared Padalecki but did you get to know him well anyway? Was he on set and could you talk to him about playing the younger version of his character?
In general when I am working as young Sam Winchester, Jared is not working. However, over the course of the seasons, I have got to talk and hang out with Jared on a few occasions. He is such a great person and is very friendly and easy to talk to. To capture the essence of Jared playing Sam Winchester, I studied a lot of episodes so that I could capture the characters traits. It was a really fun process and I do enjoy watching the show myself.
10. You were in the second "Supernatural" episode that Jensen Ackles directed. What was that like? You were in the amazing "Dark side of the moon with him" so was it different with him behind the camera?
Jensen is a great person. He is so professional both behind the camera and in front of the camera. The episode that Jenson directed was exciting because it was the first time I had experienced him as a director. He is very insightful and knows the show so well that working for him as the director came very easy.
11. Stories about the pranks on set are always the best. Could you share anything with us? From "Supernatural" or "Under the Dome"?
When I was working on Under the Dome, I purchased a 1965 Mustang to drive around. One day some of my cast members moved my car and had me thinking my new car was stolen. They even got an off duty police officer to come to my apartment saying they found the car wrecked. I was really bummed and was getting upset and they finally brought the car back to me.
12. What is your all time favorite movie, music album and book?
My favorite movie is Stand by Me, music album would be something by Bob Dylan and The Giver was one of my favorite books of all time.
13. Since myFanbase is an online magazine about U.S. television shows, what are your favorite shows?
My favorite television shows are "Breaking Bad", "Parenthood" and "Revolution".
Thank you, Colin, we wish you all the best for your future!
Nicole Oebel - myFanbase
Kommentarecomments powered by Disqus
"It took 500 men and Wonderland's most powerful magic to...
Außerdem geht nach 10 Jahren "Stargate" zuende, eine...
von Jamie Lisa Hebisch