Interview with Sasha Pieterse
Sasha Pieterse is very young but already an old stager in the TV-business. She started out in "Family Affair", had a recurring role on "Heroes" and plays the role of Alison DiLaurentis in the recent mystery teen drama "Pretty Little Liars". Sasha talks about working on these shows and about her other interests and projects.
The interview is © myFanbase 2010. Please do not copy it to other websites or messageboards.
1. You're only 14 years old but you're already an experienced actor. How did you get started?
I got started with commercials and print when I was in 4 1/2 and loved it! I was extremely blessed to get my first theatrical role in "Family Affair" when I was 6 and I have had a thirst and passion for the business ever since.
2. Your first role was Buffy Davis on "Family Affair" when you were 6. For children in television there are certain rules on set. What was it like for you?
Yes, there are a lot of guidelines and regulations on set for the safety and protection of the minor (me.) That being said I can assure you that I have always had good experiences on set, and just like any other work place, boundaries are used to ensure the progress and consistency of what you are there to do.
To have known what I wanted to do for the rest of my life at such a young age is something that only a handful of people experience. Not only that, but to be able to do what I want to do for the rest of my life starting now is incredible! I think one of the greatest accomplishments is being able to get up every morning excited to go to work. Knowing that you are building a future for yourself also brings a lot of security. Nothing in this business is secure, however, those who have passion, commitment, and show hard work have very rarely been overlooked. Every day I wake up even more motivated for the business than the day before. I want it so bad, and being on set is my reward. Actors and actresses work very, very hard but we wouldn't be anything if it wasn't for the hardworking crew around us. It's extremely inspiring to see cast and crew both committed to making it happen.
3. You were in the fourth season of "Heroes". Was it exciting to work on this mystery show?
Definitely! I loved working on Heroes for the simple fact that they all work hard, and believe me when I say all I meant it. I got to play with fire a lot, safely of course! My character was unlike any they've had on the show so it was neat to see them prepare for it.
4. You play Alison DiLaurentis on "Pretty Little Liars" who is the central figure in the group of friends. She is a schemer and manipulative person. What do you think why she is still the one who keeps the friends together?
Alison is probably the most diverse character I've every played. She's the top dog, very manipulative, sweet and sour, and all around interesting. She's definitely the glue between the five of them, mainly because she's the reason they all became friends. Also, she knows all of their secrets but they know none of hers. She always has dirt on every one else but no one ever has any on her, or at least she tried to keep it that way. I think that is what makes her disappearance so intriguing and mysterious. She has so many layers and those layers drew each and every one of those girls closer to her. They love her and hate her for the same reasons. In a very strange way she brought unity between the five of them wether they liked it or not.
5. You are a lot younger than the girls who play Alison's friends. Does this lead to funny situations?
Oh definitely, I think they have to remind themselves of my age. To me age is just a number, and I have never been "my age" ever, so its rather interesting that we all fit in well together.
6. Do you know if the mystery about "A" is going to be solved within this first season?
It's always a mystery, and all I can tell you is that there's still so many unsolved secrets and dark deeds between the people of Rosewood that you shouldn't be too sure of anything that's going on. "A" always has tricks up her sleeve, don't underestimate her!
7. Is there a lot of goofing around on set? Can you share a funny little anecdote?
Well we always have fun on set that's for sure! I know Ashley Benson loves to prank the cast and crew, and one of her favorites I will definitely share with you! She loves to peg people without them knowing, yeah you heard me! She will grab clothes pegs and stick 'em on people's jackets or shirts and keep piling them on until you notice! It's very entertaining to watch!
8. "Pretty Little Liars" is like a mix between "Desperate Housewives" and "Gossip Girl". What aspect of the show do you like the most?
I love the show because you don't know where the story line is going, there are so many twists and turns! And I think that because of the mix between "Gossip Girl" and "Desperate Housewives" it has all the juicy aspects that we love!
9. Is there a show currently airing that you would like to play a part in? What kind of part would you like to play if you could choose?
10. If you could put together an entire crew for a movie or show: Who would be the director? Who would be the writer? And who would be in the leading role(s)?
I would make a movie that's for sure! As an actress to be able to work with brilliant writers and directors is such a dream! I would be extremely honored to work with Steven Spielberg, Quentin Tarantino & J.J. Abrams. My leading lady would have to be Charlize Theron, and leading gent would have to be Leonardo DiCaprio. I think the two of them opposite each other would be unlike anything we've seen before.
11. Do you have new projects you can tell us about?
Well I have just started my own jewelry and fashion line, so get ready to see a lot from me! I also am in the process of recording my music demo. I am very excited about everything to come and I have a lot of interests so hopefully you will be able to see all of that first hand!
12. What are your favorite movie, band and book?
Wow! Favorite movie would have to be "Inception"... there are a few classics that come to mind as well but I have to admit Inception blew my mind, sheer brilliance! I love so many artists and genres in music that it's almost impossible for me to choose! But I have to say of all time, Queen. I also thoroughly enjoy reading, something more recent that I am able to read over and over is "Eat, Pray, Love" and not because of the movie! I haven't gotten a chance to see the movie yet, but that will change shortly!
13. Since myFanbase is an online magazine about TV series, do you have a favorite one?
Nicole Oebel - myFanbase
Irgendwie scheint Heigl sich mit ihren Serien (erst...
Zusammen mit dem Oscar letzte Nacht ist das ja eine...