Exclusive interview with Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
Feb 24, 2012 | Danish actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau plays Jaime Lannister in the highly acclaimed show "Game of Thrones". He speaks about his sudden fame when he started his acting career, how much he likes the show's fanbase and he teases a bit about season 2, which is going to be aired in the U.S. on HBO and in Germany on TNT Serie.
1. You are a well-known actor from Denmark and you made movies and TV in the U.S.. How did your first job in the U.S. come about?
My first US movie was "Black Hawk Down" and a friend helped me put myself on tape up on the attic over my apartment in Copenhagen. We shipped it out and I got lucky.
2. Your part in "Nightwatch" was your breakthrough. How did it feel to become so popular over night?
It was a strange moment in my life. But I didnt realise how 'known' I was in Denmark 'till years later. I was too focused on learning my craft to pay attention to that part of the equation. I didn't have a point of reference, it was my first job so apparently thats how it was. Later I found out that the great shows are rare. Now I know and makes me even more grateful to be part of "Game of Thrones".
3. Jaime Lannister on "Game of Thrones" season 1 is a charming yet ruthless character. What do you personally think about him?
What's not to like about Jaime? As an actor I couldn't ask for a better role.
4. Jaime Lannister had many explosive and enthralling scenes in the first season. How did you approach these scenes with Lena Headey, Sean Bean and Michelle Fairley?
When you work with great actors and great writing like we do on GOT you really try to enjoy, react and not let your instinct to act get in the way of the scene.
5. "Game of Thrones" is a big project with a huge cast and beautiful landscapes. Can you describe your feelings when you first entered the set?
It was pure awe and exitement.
6. Is there any chance for the actors to ask writer George R.R. Martin about some details from the upcoming book?
I prefer to be surprised.
7. Can you tease a little bit about season 2 in terms of are you going to have stunt scenes or something else that's very special to you?
(The following answer contains spoiler info. Click "einblenden" to read it.)
Dieser Text enthält Spoiler und wird deshalb nicht angezeigt. Wenn du den Text lesen möchtest, musst du ihn einblenden.
8. "Game of Thrones" feels a lot like a historical drama. Could you see yourself living in this world?
I can see myself as Jaime in that world but certainly wouldn't want to live in that world.
9. George R. R. Martin's books were already very popular before HBO decided to make them into a TV show. Did you feel any pressure when you signed on to play Jaime Lannister knowing that there are a lot of expectations?
Thankfully I was unaware of the books before signing on and when I did it was a very cool revelation. I have huge admiration for George R. R. Martin's work and share the fans' enthusiasm.
10. The book series "A Song of Ice and Fire" has a very passionate and dedicated fanbase. What was the most remarkable fan feedback you've got for your perfomance on "Game of Thrones"?
I was very lucky to be invited to ComiCon last year. To meet the fans and feel their passion for the show was exhilirating. The one response Re. Jaime I am most pleased about is that he isn't seen as just another evil villain. But that has less to do with my work and everything to do with the writing of D.B. Weiss, David Benioff and obviously George R. R. Martin.
11. Have you read all or some of the books? Is there a particular scene you're looking forward to or one you're already dreading?
12. Do you watch the show with family or co-stars? Which part and which setting impressed you most?
Still looking forward to the dvd so I can sit down and watch the whole thing.
13. myFanbase is a website that is devoted to American television shows. Do you have one or more favorite show(s)?
This season. "Homeland".
Thank you, Nikolaj, we wish you all the best for your future.
Nicole Oebel - myFanbase
hey ich und meine Schwester möchten auch das die serie...
Stimme dir hier voll und ganz zu. Ich mochte die neuen...