Interview with Rutina Wesley
myFanbase got the opportunity to do an interview with Rutina Wesley, who can be seen as Tara Thornton on HBO's "True Blood". Get to know more about her passion for dancing and music, her friendship with Nelsan Ellis and what is coming up for Tara on season 3. This interview contains spoiler!
The interview is © myFanbase 2010. Please do not copy it to other websites or message boards.
1. When and why did you decide to become an actress?
I did my first play, "Finian's Rainbow", when I was 7 years old and that was the moment I fell in love with the stage. I had always been a dancer but after that I was hooked on the idea of being able to tell stories - musicals really incorporated the three things that I loved doing most: dancing, acting and singing.
2. How did you react when the producers of "True Blood" offered you the part of Tara Thornton?
I was really, really excited. I was pulling out of a Starbucks in LA when I got the call. I almost crashed into another car because I was so excited! I couldn't believe it.
3. Did you read the books, or have you read them since doing the show?
4. Why do you think the relationship between Tara and Sam didn't work out?
Ultimately, I think it didn't work out because Tara wasn't fully ready. I do think she was falling in love but I don't think she was at a point in her life where she could totally realize that she was falling. I do think that they are good for each other - they're very similar in a lot of ways. It was the perfect relationship that Tara just wasn't ready for.
5. Can you give us some scoop about season 3 of "True Blood"? Will Tara fall in love again?
Tara will have some grieving to do over what happened at the end of Season 2. I think Sookie being back will help Tara come out of her funk and find her way back. Maybe she will fall in love again but I don't know..
6. Tara hasn't been as involved in the whole vampire environment as Sookie has. Will that eventually change next season?
Anything can happen, as we've seen with the first two seasons. You never can tell what Alan Ball and the writers will come up with...so we'll see...
7. You and Nelsan Ellis went to school together. Have you been in touch before working together on "True Blood"? Did you know that he was auditioning for the show, too?
Yes, we have been friends since Juilliard and kept in touch after school. I did not know he was auditioning for the show as well.
8. You love musicals and singing. Since there are more and more tv shows doing musical episodes would you like to do a "True Blood" musical episode?
Everyone is always joking about "True Blood: The Musical". I think it would be really funny but I don't think it's the nature of our show. It wouldn't really fit in with the tone of our show.
9. At the moment there is a big hype regarding vampire stories. What do you think about this genre? Do you enjoy watching shows like "True Blood", "The Vampire Diaries" or movies like "Twilight"?
Yes, there is a lot of hype around vampires right now. It is a really cool genre that you can just let yourself fall into the fantasy of it all. I think our show definitely leans more towards bringing the fantasy into the real world...it mixes the two worlds together perfectly which is why I think our show is so cool. I do enjoy watching the other vampire shows and films and seeing what else is happening in the genre.
10. What was the hardest scene you’ve ever done and why?
The sex scenes are the most difficult because you are very vulnerable in those scenes - not just as an actor but your character is vulnerable in the moment as well. Luckily, we have a very safe and supportive working environment on our show and I have had great scene partners to work with so I was allowed to be vulnerable and intimate.
11. What are the plans for your future? Do you have any further new projects that you can tell us about?
Just trying to stay focused on this new season of "True Blood" for right now. When things come up, I definitely take them into consideration but I just like to take everything one day at a time and give everything I've got to the show at hand.
12. Since myFanbase is an online magazine about TV series, do you have a favorite one?
I love "So You Think You Can Dance?". I don't get to dance as much as I used to, so I really love to watch and see what those performers can do!
Catherine Bühnsack - myFanbase
Hihi da beneid ich dich drum. ;)
Das Finale fand ich...
Brüllbrüllbrüll (Übersetzt: AUAAAAAA, wer hat die...